Friday, February 6, 2015


As I look over my "old" blog site, http://ididntgettogo.blogspot.com/ , I take note of the last time I posted anything.  May 2011 seems so long ago and yet in contrast to universe time, it is a minuscule amount of time. Miniscule as it may be, the life events that have taken place during the last three plus years bare great significance and importance to me.  In 2011, I embarked on a journey of self-improvement through higher education and studies.  Prior to that, I had very little educational technology knowledge and was using only that which was required to be used within my science classroom.  I did not text, tweet, facebook, youtube, instagram, thinglink, selfie, collaborate, virtual lab it, or online discuss it, just to name a few things.  Basically, I used the minimal amount of technology that I could use and as a result,  that overflowed into my science classroom.  According to John Spencer (http://www.educationrethink.com/2012/07/11-reasons-teachers- arent-using .html), I possessed the first two of the characteristics that seem to be characteristic of teachers who don’t use technologies in the classroom.  Those two reasons are fear and low self-efficacy.  My fear of the unknown and hesitance to change not only hindered me in being part of the 21st century, the repercussions unbeknownst to my students and to me, were affecting my students, their futures, and me. That is not who I wanted to be and that is not who I am today.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment